Friday 7 May 2010

lack of focus

I've been a bit silent for the last ten days or so. partly to do with work and partly to do with a long weekend on the isles of scilly watching matthew rowing. i'll have to fill in some of the blanks later.

today i was back to being elizabeth as i had an opthalmology outpatients appointment. this was at penrice, the st austell hospital and meant that i could walk there. a good thing as part of the procedure of looking into your eyes is to dilate the pupils, which means you lose focus for a while and life becomes a little blurry and driving home would have been highly dangerous. it only took me 35 mins to walk there and slightly shorter on the return journey as it is more downhill. it was also a good thing to walk as the parking was particularly horrendous today. an older gentleman who was waiting for his appointment filled me in a bit with the history of the hospital and informed me that the land was given with a condition that there was never to be a charge for parking. which explains why it appears to be the only hospital in the world that doesn't charge for parking and would make a stay in penrice an awful lot cheaper than my recent stay at treliske.

another far too young consultant, dr jones (david) looked into my eyes and found nothing untoward except a tiny 'insignificant' cataract in the left eye. which is all good news, though one has to question when an 'insignificant' might become a 'significant'.

then i had a very painful walk home, trying to find shade from the sun and doing some of it with my eyes shut. why when it seems to rain in cornwall 95% of the time, was my walk home on a beautiful sunny morning? i'm at home now waiting for my eyes to return to normal so i can drive to work and have just hung out the white bedsheets, more pain! i might have to dig out my sunglasses in a minute.

No comments: